Sunday, September 14, 2008

Shells
I have this grand shadow box in my bathroom:

Blair has been teasing me about the fact that I've personally collected very few of these shells - most of them came from one of those baskets you buy at a cheesy beach store on vacation.
So we've been collecting more whenever we're near the water. Inspired by one of Attic 24's recent posts, I thought I'd share:
I'll be in Jacksonville, Florida in a couple of weeks visiting a very *special* friend. . .perhaps I'll pick up more beauties there. ;)
“Beauty is an all-pervading presence. It unfolds to the numberless flowers of the Spring; it waves in the branches of the trees and in the green blades of grass; it haunts the depths of the earth and the sea, and gleams out in the hues of the shell and the precious stone. And not only these minute objects, but the ocean, the mountains, the clouds, the heavens, the stars, the rising and the setting sun all overflow with beauty. The universe is its temple; and those people who are alive to it can not lift their eyes without feeling themselves encompassed with it on every side.”
William Ellery Channing

1 comment:

kate said...

I <3 your lovely shadow box. Even if your shells were acquired in a less than authentic manner. :)