Monday, May 17, 2010

The Setting
Do you ever read something and quite literally have to stop reading in order to research the setting, town, place, house, etc with which the story takes place? I always need context - I mean I have a photo in my head but I always want it in more detail, true detail, not just what my imagination comes up with.So I'm reading this right now:Its the biography of Anne Boleyn's sister-in-law and the author, Julia Fox is incredibly descriptive but I need more, so I started digging and came up with:Hever Castle (the childhood home of the infamous Anne Boleyn)image from here image from here image from here
Rochford Hall (another of the Boleyn family homes)image from hereimage from hereimage from here
Finally, Blickling Hall; Jane Rochford (she was married to Anne Boleyn's brother, George) at one point owned the rights to this beautiful home. However, she chose to live the courtier's life under Henry VIII's 5th wife, Catherine Howard instead and the cost was her head - - - quite literally as she was decapitated in 1542. I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to leave this place (not even for the allure and intrigue of court) Can you?:image from hereimage from hereimage from hereimage from here
However, you know I've always been a sucker for red-heads so there's really no telling WHAT I'd do if confronted by dear Henry. . .ahhhhhh I should have lived then! :)

1 comment:

Leah said...

Wow these pictures are stunning! It would be fun to go back in time!