Made this last week, its fabulous - I promise!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (if using almonds)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (if using other nuts, fruit, or chocolate chips)
1) Position an oven rack so that the biscotti will bake in the middle of the oven, preheat to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside
2) In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk to mix well. Add the eggs and extract and mix till it becomes crumbly. Stir in the nuts, fruit or chocolate yummies.
3) Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead the dough until it comes together. Transfer to the lined baking sheet and shape into an even, flat rectangle (about 6x9")
4) Transfer the baking sheet to the oven & bake until the dough is lightly golden and feels firmed when lightly touched in the center with your fingertip (about 50 minutes).
5) Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for about 15 minutes
6) Peel the dough rectangle from the parchment paper and transfer it to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, first slice off and discard the rounded edges of the 2 shorter sides of the dough to make straight sides. Continue slicing the rectangle into slices about 3/4" wide. Lay the slices, with one of their sides down about 1" apart on the lined baking sheet.
7) Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the exposed sides of the slices are golden (about 20 minutes). Remove the sheet from the oven, turn biscotti over and return the sheet to the oven. Continue baking until the other exposed sides of the biscotti are golden (another 20 minutes).
8) Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool completely.
Substitute chocolate chips, dried currants, raisins, dried blueberries, or sour cherries for the chopped nuts