Monday, July 21, 2008


Gotsta get back to the reading material . . .maybe next week?
Ok so I totally stole this from the cutie pie that writes Whatever DeeDee Wants.
Isn't that just the cutest name for a blog? I was immediately intrigued by it because my bff Coley's momma is named Dee Dee and that statement would ring true for her as well. In fact, as we speak she's on my case about re-designing her kitchen (for free!)
Anyway, back to what I stole (I've altered the instructions a bit):

Here's how it works: The Big Read says that the average adult has only read 6 of the top 100 books they've printed.
1) Look at the list and bold those you have read
2) Star those you intend to read.
3) Write "LOVE" next to the books you love, and "ABHOR" next to the books you read but didn't like.
4) Reprint this list so we can try and track down these people who've read only 6 or less and make them read

THE BIG READ TOP 100
1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen LOVE (although its not the best Austen book ever)
2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte LOVE
*4. The Harry Potter Series JK Rowling
5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee ABHOR (I know I know, I'm not even human for actually admitting I didn't like it, sorry!)
6. The Bible LOVE
7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte LOVE LOVE LOVE (one of my favourites!)
8. Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell LOVE
9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens LOVE
11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott LOVE
12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy LOVE
13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
*14. Complete Works of Shakespeare
15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier LOVE LOVE LOVE
16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
*18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
*20. Middlemarch - George Eliot
21. Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell LOVE (again, another favourite!)
*22. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
23. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
*24. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
26. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh LOVE (but not the best Waugh work ever).
27. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28. Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
30. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
*31. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33. Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
34. Emma - Jane Austen . LOVE
35. Persuasion - Jane Austen LOVE
36. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis LOVED as a child
37. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
38. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres LOVED (this was even better than the movie and that is saying a lot!)
39. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
*40. Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
41. Animal Farm - George Orwell LOVE
42. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown LOVE
*43. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44. A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
45. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
*46. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
*47. Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
48. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
49. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
*50. Atonement - Ian McEwan .
51. Life of Pi - Yann Martel
52. Dune - Frank Herbert
53. Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
54. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen LOVE LOVE LOVE - the best Austen
55. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
56. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
57. A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens LOVE
58. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley LOVE
59. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
*60. Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
61. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
62. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov Nabokov
63. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
?64. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (someone remind me what this is about - I do feel like I have read it)
*65. Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
*66. On The Road - Jack Kerouac
67. Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy LOVE and ABHOR (good book, but it literally feels like your heart is being ripped out over and over and over
68. Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding ABHOR (honestly, I couldn't get through this one, sad I know, because I love the movies!)
69. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
70. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
71. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
72. Dracula - Bram Stoker LOVE LOVE LOVE - I've got a great story for you guys to go along with this one!!!
*73. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
74. Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson LOVE I keep this one next to my bed and read it when I'm feeling blue or missing England
75. Ulysses - James Joyce
*76. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
77. Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
78. Germinal - Emile Zola
79. Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray LOVE - it took me FOREVER to get through but mostly I just didn't want it to end!
*80. Possession - AS Byatt
81. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens LOVE
82. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
*83. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
*84. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
*85. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
86. A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry .
87. Charlotte's Web - EB White LOVE
*88. The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
89. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
90. The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
91. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
*92. The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
93. The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
94. Watership Down - Richard Adams
95. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
96. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
97. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
98. Hamlet - William Shakespeare LOVE
99. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl LOVE
*100. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
P to the S - I'm not the average adult!!! Who knew?
Oh and by the way kids, today's pictures were courtesy of that fabulous photograhper James Merrell (you can find his representation here)
Have a FABULOUS Tuesday my darlings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these rooms are EXACTLY my style. soooo goooooooood. The middle picture...I have books stacked up against my wall (not for style but bc I don't have an adequate bookcase yet for my trillions of "babies") but in my room it always looks like I'm some sort of lazy academic and not the bohemian intellectual of these pictures.